Boat Insurance Tips!
A few Boat Insurance Tips to help you get the best insurance rates (and a few other things to remember):
- Get out there and boat. Experience moves you up the boat ladder and helps your insurance rates and requirements.
- Plan on getting a survey whether the insurance requires it or not, it is just a good practice. Plus it helps determine a value for the boat.
- Participate in training programs Coast Guard or others.
- Regular maintenance can help reduce the cost of ownership and risk of problems. Inspect or have your boat inspected by a qualified marine mechanic at least a couple of times a year.
- Fix things that are broken or in need of repair before someone gets hurt or you get stuck on the water and you have to make a claim. Claims will affect your rates and ability to get insurance.
- Have a plan to protect or move your boat if bad weather is heading your direction. If bad weather is winter, lay up the boat. Most underwriters offer reduce rates for boats that are not used year round.
- Securely store your boat by installing theft prevention devices on electronics, outboard engines, out drives, trailer hitches, etc.
- Install alarm and safety systems to protect against high bilge water levels, fires, vapors and theft.
- Keep your supply of charts and data cards current and plan your routes to avoid accidental grounding and bad weather.
- Be a responsible boater and use appropriate Personal Flotation Devices; don’t drink and boat and follow the “rules” of the waterway.
Need a boat insurance quote don’t forget to call me.
My names on the door!